What's the fastest way of passing across information to a community if not through the use of digital signages? Especially when it is Hawaii. The only state of the United States of America that is situated outside of North America in Hawaii. Though recent, it was, also, the 50th state to acquire statehood in the United States of America on August 21, 1959. The digital signage market is a fast-growing one, and it has to do with visually displaying or representing information, whether outdoor or indoor, on digital screens.
Hawaii is known for its islands as it is an isolated oceanic archipelago of volcanic origin. It has the most islands in the US. In Hawaii, the digital signage tools like digital screens or digital menu boards is a must have as it will display information that has to do with letting tourists know more about the state of Hawaii and it's culinary options.
History and Legacy
When the digital signage technology first came on, some businesses had their doubts about the placement of signage screens, as some states restrict the use of digital signs. One of such states is Hawaii. Before Hawaii became one of the states of the USA, 90 percent of its population were Americans as it was a colony of the US. Its capital is Honolulu, and it is the biggest city in Hawaii. On March 15, 1969, it replaced ‘Iolani Palace,' the former house of the state. It was commissioned by John Burns, who was the second governor of Hawaii then. The digital signage technology is convenient for showing the history of a state like Hawaii, such that when tourists visit, the knowledge about the past and the beautiful culture of Hawaiians is showcased.
About 1,500 years ago, the Native Hawaiian's culture had its origins and was greatly influenced by Polynesians, who traveled to Hawaii and settled there. The cuisine, the art and the religion of Hawaiians were developed by the Polynesians voyagers. The Western cultures, also, influenced the Hawaiian culture progressively in the 1850s.
Initially, it was difficult for Hawaiians because of the need to protect and preserve their culture and maintain power over their territory was fierce because the British thought their culture was challenging and made to oppress them with the English language. Later on, through its interactions with other cultures, Hawaiians were able to incorporate essential cultures into theirs. The Hawaiian culture not only reflects the beauty of this group of islands; it has also embraced the richness and diversity in people's perception and has become home to many.
Digital Signage in Hawaii
In this century, digital advertising has shown more creativity than in the past age. The use of digital signage or visual images to convey information in a visually attractive manner to the present age consumers has been highly laudable. More noteworthy is the increase in the use of electronic signage.
Digital signage is one of the many exciting and impressing advertising tools that both small-scale and large-scale businesses
can manage to include in their strategies for advertising as it requires a little technical effort. It can be used regardless of location as consumers get information like alerts, greetings, attention, training, recognition from wherever they are; as long as there are devices with screens around, the data can be passed visually to the consumers.
For this effective and efficient advertising tool, it is essential to be on time with the delivery of the message or information and should be as direct as possible, to avoid confusion. The path digital signages pave to consumers, or an audience (or audiences) is usually flexible and highly visual.
One of the most important thing about using a strategy like digital signage to advertise is to be able to identify:
- the audience that is being targeted by the display screen
- the location
- the specific and most obvious place to install the digital signage, so that the intended audience can get the message in time
- how to make it noticeable and appealing to the recipients of the information, and
- the culture of the location
Using digital signage to get through to diverse and mobile audiences today, one needs to be direct and timely. It can be used for outdoor and indoor advertisement, which is why they are found in public places like on the bus, or in a cab, in retail stores, food places, museums, on the beach, hotels, corporate offices and so on.
There is a future for this form of advertisement. Currently, the digital signage market is dominated mostly by North America, and it is expected to be the same till 2020. The digital signage industry grows fast, and it is believed that advertisement can be likened to the real estate market because of the factor of urbanization; which is very important as the factor of urbanization influences the digital signage market.
In Hawaii, digital signage market grows by sometimes simple things like placing a digital sign at spots not too far away from one's store to increase sales or employing the services of digital signage companies. In Hawaii, entrepreneurs have caught on to the opportunity of providing digital signage services to large organizations or small businesses that need to deliver content to their clients
, in so doing being competitors with offshore organizations. Competition, as we know, is healthy and it promotes growth in the market share rates, while if an advertising company cannot meet up to the standards, the risk of such a business becoming irrelevant is high.
How can Hawaii's local laws affect Digital Signage?
Hawaii is one of the states in the United States of America that has restrictions as regards the use of advertisement tools like Digital signage. Hawaii law, as it relates to the deployment of digital signage is focused more on digital billboards or digital signs and menu boards which are placed or positioned at the exact venue
for which the digital signage advertises.
The local laws binding digital signage in Hawaii, according to The Outdoor Circle of 1927, is restricting and it says that there shall be no erection or maintenance or use of any advertising devices except in some cases like:
- Official signs can be displayed by any public officer in the line of public duty by the order of a court or any public offices.
- Advertising devices for outdoors that display the information of a meeting or meetings is allowed, but it must be displayed at the venue of the meeting. The meeting can be public or based on sports, or religious services.
- Any digital signage device that advertises properties to be sold, rented or bought must be displayed on the premises of the property it is located on.
- Digital signs and notices showing directions are official and authorized by the law. It is not reduced to directional purposes alone as it can include information relating to natural occurrences or historical attractions etc.
Hawaii's local laws are restricted when it comes to the outdoors; digital signage market can still move on the digital display on smartphones or any other device with screens and audio features. As long as it is indoor or on the property that the advertisement is being located. Even political campaign advertisements are illegal and can't be on any public property in Hawaii. There is the "state's vehicular advertising law" which disallows vehicles be used to display any advertisements whatsoever.
The state might be restricting on outdoor advertisements, but the laws aren't difficult to follow. A significant benefit of this arrangement is that the use of digital signage tools as it is displayed on the grounds of the property is one of the critical ways of attracting clients to the businesses one is promoting.
What the local Hawaiian culture is like
What is not to fall in love with in Hawaii? Most importantly, what is not to love about the state when all the information you need to know as a tourist is at the tip of digital signage tools like digital menu boards and electronic display screen. TV signage needs the right location to be placed at, so that it shows a preview or a digital slide of how the beautiful scenery, the people, the Hawaiian language and the Hawaiian culture are all an integral part of Hawaii. For instance, The Hawaiian people are a delight to watch when it comes to their dance or paddling.
The Hawaii state should look at a new way of reaching out to tourists or new residents about the Hawaiian dance, paddling, and arts.
The digital signage acts as an invitation, a visual tool, for people to learn more about:
- Hawaiian cultural activities like traditional dancing which is known as the "hula." The "hula" moves can be likened to the way the waves roll in the beaches. The moves are defined by Hawaii as the expression of the beauty, the grace and the spirituality of the Hawaiians. Accompanied by the religious music, known as "mele" which is sung to musical instruments like drums made from gourds or conch shells but the "ukulele" is one of the most popular musical instruments.
Tourists need to know about how it is more than a form of entertainment. It is sacred. The first hula, Hawaiians believe, was performed by gods and goddesses. The dance movements which includes the movement of hands and graceful movement of the body are supposed to depict the Hawaiian culture significance.
- Another instance is the Hawaii Outrigger Canoe Paddling. Native Hawaiians were able to discover more of the islands by local means like the Hawaiin canoe paddling. It was also a form of transportation from one island to another for them. In the 21st century, the Hawaiin canoe paddling became an international sport that brings people from all over the world together to learn about the culture and traditions of Hawaii. From checking out search engines before getting to Hawaii and using digital signages tools, some information can be posted in order to give an essence about the canoe paddling in Hawaii. This aids businesses, and it helps tourists avoid the stress of finding a fun place to hang out.
- Hawaiian artworks: Known for their innate ability to express the richness of their culture and traditions through their artworks, the Native Hawaiians made artworks for artistic and functional uses. Having a digital sign showcasing the different arts of the Hawaiians right in the vicinity of those art stores can make a tourist or a resident appreciate them and want to purchase the local products. This means more sales and demand for artworks or art pieces.
The tourism industry and how it supports demand for digital signage
There's a high number of tourists that visit Hawaii every year. These increase the revenue rates generated for the state. It automatically increases the demand for digital screens in Hawaii as visitors need visual tools, whether outdoor or indoor, that can give them relevant information about Hawaii. Information about the location, fun places to visit in Hawaii, where the store is and such similar information. Visitors are bound to have more fun with their family or alone or taking selfies or merely making memories when they can quickly know where the fun places are.
Tourist travel is prevalent during the summer months and major holiday periods. This is because many Americans also need a getaway-from-the-cold holiday, so they visit the Hawaiin islands.
How does the Hawaiian weather affect digital signage?
Despite the restrictions of outdoor advertisements in Hawaii, the airport has digital screens all over because of the tourists. This is so that tourists can be shown information about the state's weather, flight information, and a tour of Hawaii. Although the climate in Hawaii is pretty consistent, there are some minor fluctuations in the temperature during the year as Hawaii has just two seasons:
- There is Summer, which is also known as "Kau." It is from the month of May to the month of October. The typical daytime summer temperature at sea level is 85°F.
- There is Winter, which is "holo." Winter is from the month of November to April. The normal daytime winter temperature is 78°F, according to research.
Tourists are expected to be cautious and follow beach warnings at all times and what's the fastest way of reaching them about this vital information if not through the use of digital signage tools?
Hawaii Culinary Scene
Though food has been known to bring people together the use of visual tools like digital menu boards puts the food sector or restaurant business live to visitors. It is impossible to plan to have a wonderful time in Hawaii without trying their delicious dishes, and this is good for business. The Hawaiians have a history with agriculture, one that is complicated; that is to say, 85/90 percent of the Hawaiian food is imported. Still, Hawaiians have a fabulous food culture.
Although the digital screens or billboards won't be staying on in Hawaii because of the laws restricting outdoor advertisements, digital indoor signs are not limited, and it is one of the necessary tools for the growth of businesses. It is vital for a business to grow in order to boost the economy of the state. The ability of a company or an organization to understand and embrace the culture and tradition of Hawaii helps in making important decisions when it comes to advertising with digital signage.